[tor-relays] OS Upgrade

The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415/510] drwho at virtadpt.net
Fri Apr 23 18:50:13 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, April 23, 2021 2:01 AM, <kathihil935 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Ubuntu 20.4 on my Digital Ocean droplet needs to be upgraded.
>
>  Can the upgrade be done without shutting down the relay. I
>  currently have six flags and don't want to loose them. How
>  is the upgrade done on a relay that is in operation?

Yes, it can.  I've done it several times on D-O- (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).  Use Digital Ocean's dist-upgrade and distro-upgrade docs and you should
be okay.  Take your time, there's no rush.

Just be sure to back up your tor config file and contents of /var/lib/tor, just in case
something goes pear-shaped.

The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415/510]
WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born. Now is the time of monsters.