[tor-relays] owner of tor log file changes after reboot

mpan tor-1qnuaylp at mpan.pl
Thu Apr 22 21:36:18 UTC 2021

> I have a question and I don't know were I have to look at. I am running

> a relay (compiled from source) on Raspberry Pi OS Buster. Tor is runs
> under the user "pi", so the tor logfile has also the user permission
> (chown pi logfile).
>
> Tor starts via crontab (@reboot) but after a reboot the user of the
> logfile changed to "debian-tor". After every reboot I have to change it

> back to "pi".
   Are you sure Tor is runnig under user “pi” and not “debian-tor”? What
is the value of the “User” option in torrc? Who is the process owner:
see in `htop`, `top` or similar?

   Another question is, what’s the reasoning behind switching from a
dedicated user to the default system account⁽¹⁾ shared with other services?
____
¹ No Raspberry Pi OS Buster here, but googling indicates “pi”
   is the default user on a fresh install.