[tor-relays] [RFC] Draft: Expectations for Relay Operators (deadline: May 10, 2021)

gus gus at torproject.org
Tue Apr 13 13:05:28 UTC 2021

Dear relay operators,

In the last years, during Tor meetups, assemblies, workshops, mailing
lists threads, and other gatherings with relay operators, we have
discussed topics like relay operational security and good practices,
code of conduct, transparency, sustainability, and many more important
topics.

We believe that it's time and necessary to have an explicit document
with these topics to foster and guide good practices in the Tor relay
community.

This document aims to set some expectations of maintaining the Tor
network infrastructure, i.e., Tor relays.

To give you an overview of the proposal, it has five topics:

1. Keep users safe
2. Maintain good system op-sec
3. Make sure your relay isn't broken
4. Sustainability
5. Community

You can read the draft proposal here:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/team/-/wikis/Expectations-for-Relay-Operators

And submit your feedback in this ticket:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/relays/-/issues/18

## Deadline

We are opening the document for community consultation and feedback
today, April 13, 2021, and you can submit your contribution until May
10, 2021.

After closing this public call, we will evaluate and incorporate the
relevant feedback into this document's final version.

The Expectations for Relay Operators will be published on the Community
portal[1] and used to guide our community.

## How to contribute and give feedback

After reading the proposal, you can request a GitLab account[2]. If you
want to contribute anonymously, you can submit your contribution using
Anon-Ticket, which does not require you to create an account.

### Contributing using Anon-Ticket

1. Visit the website: https://anonticket.onionize.space/
2. Click on "Create Identifier."
3. Save your unique identifier and click on "Login with This
Identifier."
4. Select "See a list of all projects" > The Tor Project / Community /
Relays > Look for issue #18 > Click on "New Note".
5. Write your feedback and click "Create Note".
6. Finally, a moderator will approve your feedback.

Feel free to discuss and reach out to the relays operators community on
IRC (irc.oftc.net #tor-relays) or the tor-relays mailing list.

Thanks for running relays!

Gus

## Notes

[1] Community portal Relay Operations: