[tor-relays] TOR relays killing internet speed

William Kane ttallink at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 9 21:57:15 UTC 2021

Hi,

> if i have these relays running it kills a 10Gbps fiber optic line

this sounds like a configuration issue on your router, relays tend to
establish tons of concurrent connections and some routers either can't
handle it or think it's some sort of attack - especially if you run
three relays all routed through the same router - the relays will
likely end up sharing source and destination IP's, making it even more
likely to trigger built-in filters.

Do you have any reason to rate-limit the entire virtual machine,
instead of just the tor instance?

If not, I'd advise you to deploy rate limiting by using the tor
configuration file, instead of Proxmox - last time I used PVE the
rate-limiting was severely broken, and on some customers VM's, it even
broke completely - no rate limiting being applied at all or network
access being cut off randomly, despite having sane settings.

Tor has plenty of variables you can tune to rate-limit each instance,
take a look:

https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en#BandwidthRate
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en#AccountingMax

> Each VM is limited to 1Mbps via proxmox.

Assuming this was just a typo, but if not, please fix it or get rid of
PVE's built in rate-limiting entirely.

- William