[tor-relays] Fallback Directories - Upcoming Change

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Thu Apr 8 12:50:09 UTC 2021

On 07 Apr (21:43:50), Toralf Förster wrote:
> On 4/7/21 9:04 PM, David Goulet wrote:
> > Over time, we will remove or add more relays at each minor release if the set
> > of fallback directories not working reaches a 25% threshold or more.
>
> In the past a fallback dir volunteer committed himself to have address
> and port stable for 2 years.
>
> If a relay is now removed from the fallback directory list - how long
> shall the Tor relay operator wait before he can change the address
> and/or port?

No more requirements of such anymore. By selecting Stable and relays that have
been around for a while, the theory is that the majority of relays of the
selected list will be stable as in same address and port.

I do hope that overall in the network most relays do not change port/address
often as relay stability is pivotal to an healthy network. But if so, our
monitoring of the fallback directories will trigger an alert once too many
relays are not working anymore as fallback and so we'll issue a new list.

> Technically speaking, how long does it usually takes till a Tor
> (browser) version containing the new fallback dir is spreaded out mostly?

It is quite fast on TB side, see the updated graph:

https://metrics.torproject.org/webstats-tb.html

Cheers!
David

--
yJPf4dPV3fAummlfnf68L08UHzwv9IzGFeUdxLc8h7I=