[tor-relays] ipv6 ORPort + DIRPort too ?

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Thu Apr 1 14:04:43 UTC 2021

On 30.03.2021 21:38, Petrusko wrote:
> Ouch, this config looks like not so cool...
> I see on Metrics the ipv6 choosen by Tor process, is now on :
> "Unreachable OR Addresses"

 From:
https://www.mail-archive.com/tor-relays@lists.torproject.org/msg17760.html

8<
In short, with this new feature, specifying an ORPort without an
address will automatically bind tor to [::]:<port> and attempt to find
the
IPv6 address by looking at (in this order):

   1. "Address" from torrc
   2. "ORPort address:port" from torrc
   3. Interface address. First public IPv6 is used.
   4. Local hostname, DNS AAAA query.
> 8

> I'll write the other solution you given previously... with
> ORPort xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9001
> ORPort [xxxx:xxxx:xxx:x:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxx]:9001

Yes, I always try to be as special as possible. Software voodoo can
often give unexpected errors or security vulnerabilities.
Especially when I have several IP's on one interface, I always write IP
and IPv6 in Address, ORPort, OutboundBindAddress, ...
And IPv6 always in brackets, even if you don't necessarily have to do
that with some software.

> 30/03/2021 à 20:07, Petrusko :
>> Ok !
>>
>> So this only line will serve on both ipv4 and ipv6 together, ok thx !
>> Cool

Yes, but then:

Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Address [xxxx:xxxx:xxx:x:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxx]
ORPort 9001

or
Address host.domain.tld -> (DNS A & AAAA record must be set correctly)
ORPort 9001

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!