[tor-relays] I bumped out some more bad relays

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sat Oct 31 09:52:09 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 09:46:38AM +0100, Toralf Förster wrote:
> On 10/31/20 4:05 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> > I spent some time this week refining a new exit scanner, and today we
> > pushed some new reject rules to kick out some relays that we confirmed
> > were running mitmproxy to do more sslstrips.

> So these got the flag "Unmeasured" but not "BadExit", right ?

We "rejected" their fingerprints, rather than badexiting the
fingerprints. So nobody will be using them for anything -- not exiting,
not anything else.

The "Unmeasured" flag that you're seeing on relay-search means that for
that vote, that relay didn't have the required threshold of three votes
from directory authorities that run bandwidth authorities. "Unmeasured"
here isn't a flag that we explicitly changed, so much as a byproduct of
doing the blocking: as directory authorities added their "reject" rules
over the course of some hours, the ones that did the reject first happened
to be ones that ran bandwidth authorities, so there was a period of a few
hours where the relays had enough votes to still get listed as Running,
but not enough of the votes came with opinions about bandwidth weights.

And because relay-search shows you the last known thing about the relay
(i.e. from when it was last listed in a consensus), their relay-search
status is frozen in time at that moment before they disappeared entirely.

Hope that explains the weird behavior. :)

--Roger