[tor-relays] relay got suspended

Pavel Polyakov tor-operator at urdn.com.ua
Mon Oct 26 12:41:29 UTC 2020

Paul Geurts <paulus at pollekeg.com> wrote:

> *Today your VPS IP address was heavily attacked by a large DDoS, so
> we were forced to suspend the VPS and null the IP for the time being,
> since it had overloaded our upstream provider. We are keeping an eye
> on the situation, however in the meantime you will want to get your
> site behind a DDoS filter such as CloudFlare.*

Just because they are suggesting you to rush to centralization and
Cloudflare is already enough reasons to flee them.

Also, it is legitimate that they block traffic to that IP for the time
of the attack but suspending the whole service permanently is
irresponsible. The attacker must be very satisfied.

Based on the relay's page, it looks like it was IPv6 capable which
means that they could have blocked the v4 traffic while keeping your VM
up and reachable in v6...