[tor-relays] relay got suspended

Paul Geurts paulus at pollekeg.com
Sun Oct 25 20:15:46 UTC 2020

hi y'all,

one of my relays got suspended today, because of heavy ddos traffic.

*Hello,*

*Today your VPS IP address was heavily attacked by a large DDoS, so we were
forced to suspend the VPS and null the IP for the time being, since it had
overloaded our upstream provider. We are keeping an eye on the situation,
however in the meantime you will want to get your site behind a DDoS filter
such as CloudFlare.*

*Let us know if you have any further questions.*

*Thank you!*

*Adam*

has any of you see this behauvior? I think there is no use in putting a
relay behind a ddos filter, or is there? In that case I'll just spin up
another one.

relay in question is this one, almost 7 months with no interuption what so
ever, no indication in the (munin) monitoring for high or higher traffic...
because the vps is suspended I don't have the latest syslog so I don't know
for sure whether anything has shown up there, but I am quite sure that
yesterday there were no abnormal logging entries on this server.

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/CDE4149F0DC65A7BE1AE440340BE1C7A18135E29

rgds,. Paul