[tor-relays] Shutdown of my digital ocean guard relay

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Thu Oct 15 18:05:03 UTC 2020

On 15.10.2020 16:24, mick wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 13:09:49 +0100
> "Dr Gerard Bulger" <gerard at bulger.co.uk> allegedly wrote:
>
>> Why not run it until they spot it and shut it down?!
>>

> Because the last time they changed the rules (when they introduced
> charging for bandwidth) I got hit (automatically) with a big bandwidth
> charge despite having been told that I would have "free bandwidth for
> life".
>
> Back then I argued (successfully) that "for life" meant just that. This
> time they have explicitly said that people in my position will no
> longer get free bandwidth if we give it away (e.g. to Tor users).
>
> So I shut it down before the automated charge kicks in.

Perhaps it helps to use port 80 and 443 or run as a bridge with obfs4.

If you want to operate a stress-free exit, take a look at frantec.
A 4Gb KVM has unlimited bandwidth and if you stick to the AUP, Francisco
and staff will even take care of the abuse mails.
https://buyvm.net/acceptable-use-policy/
Unfortunately, they are mostly sold out. At the beginning of the month
there is usually something free. They also have nice IRC support.

Servdiscount has a 15% discount this month¹. There I have the Supermicro
SD-SM-3365 with KVM Remote Management. But they don't allow exit.
https://servdiscount.com/

¹15% discount is forever.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!