[tor-relays] BadExit: Rerouting exit relays detected (1) 45.63.11.98

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Mon Oct 12 18:46:37 UTC 2020

Dr Gerard Bulger:
> Torrc allows you to exit from a different IP.  I thought it a good
> idea to stop arbitrary blocking of the advertised Tor exit IP, the
> captchas and blacklists that tor users suffer. When IPv6 implemented
> fully we have a wide range of IPs to send from on each server.
>
> Perhaps it is not considered good form to do so as the internet
> should know who is using Tor.
>
> So what is the problems for TOR security when exits set up to send
> from a different IP?   Is it that we do not know what the second IP
> is up to in dealing with the IP4 traffic from the exit?

simplified: there can be two reasons for  inbound (OR) IP != exit IP:

a) the exit used
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en#OutboundBindAddressExit
or some form of NAT

b) the exit relay uses an tor client to route its traffic back into tor

This exit was doing (b), I think you are referring to (a) which is perfectly fine.

--
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu