[tor-relays] BadExit: Rerouting exit relays detected (1) 45.63.11.98

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun Oct 11 18:17:11 UTC 2020

> I am losing patience with the "let's play nice and let exit IP addresses
> be predictable" model... We are not being treated well by the banhammer
> brigade, and it might be time to flip some tables. I would not call
> simply using a different exit IP than your relay's OR port a bad exit.

I'm not calling exit relays using distinct IPs or inbound (OR) and outbound
connections "BadExits" either, quite the opposite, all exits should be using
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en#OutboundBindAddressExit
if they have spare IPs.
That is why I implemented and automated that configuration in relayor.

I believe I can tell rerouting exits from exits having distinct IPs for
inbound and outbound connections - in most cases.

> Remember that our directory authorities are deliberately independent
> from TPI though, and even what I think is not necessarily what TPI
> thinks. The dirauths may have different opinions. Coordinating policy of
> this nature is difficult and requires consensus building.

Since dir auths have been removing these kinds of relays, I don't think there
is any policy change necessary.