[tor-relays] BadExit: Rerouting exit relays detected (1) 45.63.11.98

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Sun Oct 11 17:52:38 UTC 2020

On 10/11/20 10:20 AM, nusenu wrote:
> Thanks for the report, I have forwarded it for removal.
>
> lists at for-privacy.net:
>> Wtf, this exit has addresses that do not belong to it!
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/385527185E26937D05E0933DD29FF1699056CAF3
>
> Yes, rerouting exit traffic is a practice we have observed in the past.
>
> BadExit: Rerouting exit relays detected (1)
> The following exit relays are routing their traffic back into the tor network:
> -----------------------
> nickname: exitnew
> First seen: 2020-09-25 12:00:00
> Consensus weight: 1410
> AS: Choopa, LLC
> OR IP address: 45.63.11.98
> Exit addresses: 185.140.53.7 185.220.101.207 45.154.35.219 45.63.11.98 51.158.111.157
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/385527185E26937D05E0933DD29FF1699056CAF3
>

>> I'm very sure there are only nifty rabbits on the 185.220.101.0/24 subnet!
>
> niftybummy has relays outside of 185.220.101.0/24

I am losing patience with the "let's play nice and let exit IP addresses
be predictable" model... We are not being treated well by the banhammer
brigade, and it might be time to flip some tables. I would not call
simply using a different exit IP than your relay's OR port a bad exit.

However, re-routing exit traffic back into Tor like this is not the
answer. It is simply wasteful. I am in favor of delisting such relays.

Remember that our directory authorities are deliberately independent
from TPI though, and even what I think is not necessarily what TPI
thinks. The dirauths may have different opinions. Coordinating policy of
this nature is difficult and requires consensus building.

Again, I understand your frustration.

--
Mike Perry