[tor-relays] Cheap Servers? There MUST be a catch

Croax croax at pepta.net
Mon Nov 9 11:19:58 UTC 2020

Hi Gerry and all,

On Sun, 2020-11-08 at 22:21 +0000, Dr Gerard Bulger wrote:
> Of course set DNS of the machines not to be Google’s

Just a digression for privacy understanding - I'm not sure about the
following, confirmation needed. (Google) DNS would even not be
triggered in the context of running a non-exit Tor relay, as only IPs
seems to be shared by relays, authorities, and final Tor users.

I only see a DNS reference in torrc at "Address" field but (I would bet
this is first option):
- either it is resolved by your machine, so as a non privacy related
data (because it is yourself related)
- either it is resolved once (or many times) by the network but is no
more Google DNS related.

Moreover Google (as any provider) could even evesdrop (uncyphered) DNS
messages you exchange with your DNS provider, or list any IP address
which exchanged with your host.

So my point was that DNS does not matter as:
1/ Tor does not use DNS (confirmation needed)
2/ It is pointless to try to keep DNS private when you entrust all your
machine to them (but using encyphered DNS would be slightly better)

Moreover, Google already has a lot of information and I would just
advice not to correlate any of their services with Tor. OVH is bad
choice because of dominating bandwidth, but to my mind using Google
would be worst.
--
Croax