[tor-relays] Cheap Servers? There MUST be a catch

tontu tontu at nisse.xyz
Mon Nov 9 19:43:23 UTC 2020

Not necessarily under a dollar, but check out the torpids sets of
relays. Torpids has identified a number of hosts that offer
unlimited/unmetered bandwidth for a fixed price each month:

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/torpids

As far as servers that are actually under $1 USD/month, there are a
decent number of hosts in Russia that offer VPS services for near $1
USD/month. However, the reliability on a lot of these services are
abysmal (some of them oversell to the extent that VPS servers are
constantly in swapped/hibernation, than actually running. You'd need to
maintain an active SSH connection from another device just to keep the
server awake. G-Core labs is held in fairly high regard in some circles,
and is fairly cheap if you pay in Rubles (with a no forex fee credit
card) but I have no experience with that particular host.

tontu