[tor-relays] Cheap Servers? There MUST be a catch

Dr Gerard Bulger gerard at bulger.co.uk
Sun Nov 8 22:21:00 UTC 2020

Worried about dominance of OVH  for relays and exits?   How about Google!
Setting up a fast server is SO cheap on their https://cloud.google.com/
platform,  it is tempting to set up relays, if not exits there.  Looking at
their T&Cs they do not seem to mention TOR or banning running a proxy, but a
generic list of don't do bad things.   I have two ubuntu servers doing
running other programmes on there now, and so far cost me $0.78  with fixed
IP4 addresses.   I have not worked out how to attach IPv6 yet.

Of course set DNS of the machines not to be Google's

So tell me why this is such a bad idea.

Gerry