[tor-relays] How do I add relays to a "family" and what are the benefits?

torix at protonmail.com torix at protonmail.com
Fri May 22 22:55:37 UTC 2020

Dear Keifer,

From the Tor Manual:
"MyFamily fingerprint,fingerprint,…

Declare that this Tor relay is controlled or administered by a group or organization identical or similar to that of the other relays, defined by their (possibly $-prefixed) identity fingerprints. This option can be repeated many times, for convenience in defining large families: all fingerprints in all MyFamily lines are merged into one list. When two relays both declare that they are in the same 'family', Tor clients will not use them in the same circuit. (Each relay only needs to list the other servers in its family; it doesn’t need to list itself, but it won’t hurt if it does.) Do not list any bridge relay as it would compromise its concealment.

When listing a node, it’s better to list it by fingerprint than by nickname: fingerprints are more reliable.

If you run more than one relay, the MyFamily option on each relay must list all other relays, as described above.

Note: do not use MyFamily when configuring your Tor instance as a brigde."

HTH,

--Torix