[tor-relays] Tor relay occasionally maxing out CPU usage

William Kane ttallink at googlemail.com
Tue May 19 15:59:32 UTC 2020

Okay, so your suspicion was just confirmed:

consdiffmgr_rescan_flavor_(): The most recent ns consensus is
valid-after 2020-05-19T15:00:00. We have diffs to this consensus for
0/25 older ns consensuses. Generating diffs for the other 25.

Right after, diffs were compressed with zstd and lzma, causing the CPU
usage to spike.

Disabling DirCache still gives me the following warning on Tor 0.4.3.5:

May 19 17:56:42.909 [warn] DirCache is disabled and we are configured
as a relay. We will not become a Guard.

So, unless I sacrifice the Guard flag, there doesn't seem to be a way
to fix this problem in an easy way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.