[tor-relays] Is running an irc only exit relay safe from abuse

teor teor at riseup.net
Sun May 17 02:48:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

> On 17 May 2020, at 01:19, Alexander Færøy <ahf at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> On 2020/05/16 00:02, Keifer Bly wrote:
>> Thx very much. If OVH does get an abuse complaint the most that will happen
>> is termination of the vps correct? Thx.
>
> Based on the information from our wiki[1] from 2014, it sounds like they
> terminate the VPS. I have no experience with OVH, so others on the
> mailing list should probably chime in here.

Like many network providers, OVH expects you to do two things in response
to every complaint:
1) Respond to the complaint, and explain why it happened
2) Stop it from happening again

There are some standard abuse response templates for Tor relays on the
wiki and in the mailing list archives.

If the complaint contains an IP address and port, you can block that IP
(or network) in your ExitPolicy.