[tor-relays] How Many Mbps Does A Tor Relay Need To Be A Guard?

Imre Jonk imre at imrejonk.nl
Wed May 13 17:03:25 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-05-13 at 01:32 -0700, Keifer Bly wrote:
> I am wondering how fast (in MBPS) as tor relay needs to be used as a
> Guard? My new middle relay has about 2-3Mbps, is this enough? Thank
> you.

"To become a guard, a relay has to be stable and fast (at least
2MByte/s) otherwise it will remain a middle relay."
https://community.torproject.org/relay/types-of-relays/#guard-and-middle-relay

Note that 2 MByte/s equals 16 Mbit/s. Also, take in consideration that
the minimum requirement for a relay is currently 10 Mbit/s. You might
be better off running a bridge instead.

Imre