[tor-relays] So running a new middle relay on ovh

Imre Jonk imre at imrejonk.nl
Wed May 13 04:35:27 UTC 2020

Hi Keifer,

On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 15:56 -0700, Keifer Bly wrote:
> OVS allows for middle relays but exits may be risky. So I started up
> a new middle relay called udeserveprivacy.

Great to see that you're adding bandwidth to the network! OVH does
indeed allow running middle relays, and many relay operators have one
or more running there:
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/as:AS16276

However, there is also a slight problem here, as having many relays at
one hosting company is not so good for Tor's network diversity. If you
have the option between running a node at a popular hoster or a less
popular one, go with the latter. See Tor's community website for tips
on picking a hoster:
https://community.torproject.org/relay/technical-considerations/#as/location-diversity

> I used this configurator here
> https://tor-relay.co/setup/bb7f44360c00b8d2783ef4a3f8f52f78
> To install unattended upgrades. This will keep both the OS and tor
> automatically up to date correct? Do I need to manually restart the
> VPS for this to happen? Thanks.

Looking at the script you're linking to, it seems that you're using
this unattended-upgrades configuration:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flxn/tor-relay-configurator/master/misc/50unattended-upgrades.Debian

This configuration will _not_ automatically reboot your VPS when
required for a kernel update. If you want automatic reboots, change
this line in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades:

Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "false";

to:

Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "true";