[tor-relays] IPV6

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue May 5 11:32:43 UTC 2020

Hi,

> On 5 May 2020, at 21:21, Dr Gerard Bulger <gerard at bulger.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Is there any work going on which would allow Tor to work with IPV6 alone?   i.e. no IPV4 OR ports etc.

To protect user privacy, we need more dual-stack relays, before we can have IPv6-only relays.

At the moment, we're working on improvements to IPv6 support on dual-stack relays, including IPv6 relay-to-relay connections, IPv6 ORPort reachability self-tests, and IPv6 address auto-detection. (These features are also useful for future IPv6-only relays.)

You can read more details in the list archives, search for "Sponsor 55" or "IPv6". Here's one recent email:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2020-March/018250.html

Once we have more dual-stack relays, we could work on:
* bridges with inbound IPv6 ORPorts, and outbound IPv4 connectivity
* IPv6-only bridges
* IPv6-only exits

We'll probably start on IPv6-only exits first, because exits are scarce. Here are some of the issues we need to fix to make that happen:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2020-May/014262.html