[tor-relays] Again: abuse email for non-exit relay (masergy)

cxx tor at cxx.rocks
Mon May 4 12:06:35 UTC 2020

Hi there,

I got the same complaints for my non-exit-relays running at myloc in the past.

I think I got two of them within the last 6 years, always responded asking for more details, but they never explained what's wrong from their point of view. I think it's some IDS within their network reporting connections from their clients to the tor
network as malicious and automatically sending abuse-reports.

I explained that I requested more information but never got any, the case was then closed.
I used to work there years ago and established the abuse-handling-process. As long as you explain it to them everything should be fine. The abuse-mails are forwarded to you automatically and only if you don't respond at all and more complaints keep arriving for your ip your server could be suspended automatically. They would not suspend your server for one incomprehensible bogus-complaint, but you should reply nevertheless reply to keep the counters for the automated abuse-handling low.

Regards
cxx