[tor-relays] Relay Or/Dirport Unreachable

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Fri Mar 20 21:55:24 UTC 2020

> The Debian/Ubuntu instructions for doing this properly are listed at e.g.
> https://bugs.torproject.org/25890#comment:1
> Or I'll say the updated version here:
> """
> You might like to use the nyx relay monitor to watch your relay's
> activities from the command line. First, "sudo apt install nyx".
> Second, as the user that will be running nyx, run "sudo adduser $USER
> debian-tor" to add your user to the debian-tor group so it can reach
> Tor's controlsocket. Then log out and log back in (so your user is
> actually in the group), and run "nyx".
> """

Thanks Roger. Dumbish question but if we replace 'Then log out and log
back in' with 'run "reset" in your console' will that do the trick?

> We keep rearranging our docs and losing the instructions, and also
> Damian (the nyx developer) has been unenthusiastic about complicating
> nyx's docs with distro-specific instructions, so here we are.

Nope, I'm not against providing them. Just awaiting noob friendly
instructions for me to post.

Nyx itself can autodetect when tor's auth cookie is owned by
debian-tor and provide Debian specific instructions. If we provide the
following will it be accurate?

"""
To connect to tor we require one more step. Please run the following
and try nyx again...

% sudo adduser $USER debian-tor
% reset
"""