[tor-relays] Consensus Weight Dropping/Authority Issues?

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Mar 16 06:43:22 UTC 2020

Hi John,

> On 7 Jan 2020, at 22:57, John Ricketts <john at quintex.com> wrote:
>
> I have been watching the consensus weight and bandwidth of all of my 50 exit nodes drop consistently over the past few months. I have not made any hardware changes in my data center and actual customers have not complained about any performance issues.
>
> Operating systems and Tor version are up to date. I'm dedicating a significant portion of bandwidth to these nodes - 10gbit/sec.
>
> Am I having issues with the bandwidth authorities?
>
> I'm growing frustrated with my performance to resources ratio, I should be doing far better than this.

Did you ever find an answer here?

What have you analysed?
Have you tried any config changes?

Can you tell us which directory authorities are measuring your relays lower
than they were before?

The most likely scenarios are:
* Routing changes between your relays and the bandwidth authorities
* The Torflow to sbws transition
* Did you upgrade your tor version?
  Most of the network upgraded to tor 0.4.1 and 0.4.2 recently:
  https://metrics.torproject.org/versions.html?start=2019-09-01&end=2020-03-16

Did the consensus weight drop first, or did the observed bandwidth drop first?

You've probably read this wiki page before, but just in case:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/MyRelayIsSlow#FindingOutwhatisLimitingaRelay