[tor-relays] How to Limit Bridge Traffic

Imre Jonk imre at imrejonk.nl
Thu Mar 5 19:24:35 UTC 2020

Hi Eddie,

On Wed, 2020-03-04 at 12:34 -0800, Eddie wrote:
> Does BandwidthRate apply to bridges.  I can (hopefully) guess that
> RelayBandwidth doesn't.
> Does the AccountingMax apply.

I am almost certain that all three options apply to bridges as well.
Note that BandwidthRate applies to all TCP data (not the TCP headers or
DNS traffic), while RelayBandwidth* applies to the _relayed traffic_
only.

> I noticed the following in the manual:
>
> If you have bandwidth cost issues, enabling hibernation is preferable
> to setting a low bandwidth, since it provides users with a collection
> of fast servers that are up some of the time, which is more useful
> than a set of slow servers that are always "available".
>
> Does that advice apply equally to bridges, assuming that the
> Accounting options do apply.  Or would it more advantageous for a
> bridge to be constantly available, as switching bridges isn't as
> seamless as switching relays.

That's an interesting question. Bridges are required to provide at
least 1 Mbit/s bandwidth, but I can't find anything related to uptime
requirements (except for the two hours a day minimum). I'd say that the
advice therefore also applies to bridges. The Tor client software can
be configured to use multiple bridges.

Imre