[tor-relays] Should new exit relays be probed for public DNS resolvers

flux tor at cyb3rwr3ck.net
Thu Mar 5 15:50:28 UTC 2020

>From my point of view its much more helpful to run an DoH (or DNSCrypt,
DoT if you like) client on an exit and randomly distribute requests to a
set of DoH/DNSCrypt/DoT-Servers to hide the actual DNS Requests an exit
is doing from an adversary which might use this information for
correlation.

As the requests are randomly distributed between a set of servers this
additionally fixes the problems of a single entity answering/monitoring
all DNS requests.

Unfortunately root servers doesn't support encrypted DNS (except of
openNIC but I dont think they are not an option for a general
recommendation because only 9 servers are currently supporting encryption).

BUT: By using for example the list of encrypting dns servers and
dnscrypt-proxy the dnscrypt project is offering it would be easy to
implement a huge set of relays using a random set of DoH or DNSCrypt
enabled dns servers.

Regards,

flux