[tor-relays] "/var/tor/diff-cache" full!

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Thu Jun 18 16:07:25 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:21:34AM +0200, Salvatore Cuzzilla wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm running a non-exit relay (v0.4.2.7) on OpenBSD 6.7.
> The amount of files within "/var/tor/diff-cache" is steadily increasing.
> Up to almost 6G fulfilling the /var partition to the max.
>
> Is this an expected behavior? I there any solution to overcome it?

Definitely not expected behavior. Tor maintains a bunch of files there,
and they can grow to take up a huge amount of space, but huge should be
on the order of a few hundred megabytes. In particular, it should be
automatically deleting files that are old enough to be unlikely to be
used in practice.

I wonder if your OS is interfering with the deletion process somehow,
like with an apparmor equivalent?

Or, has your clock changed in a significant way? What are the timestamps
on the files?

Each file should be around 500KBytes to 1MByte ish, so if any of the
files are way way bigger than this, that's good info too.

--Roger