[tor-relays] Consensus weight/Advertised bandwidth low on "Gigabit" ISP, despite ISP equipment upgrades

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Sat Jun 13 05:51:46 UTC 2020

Hi tor-relays@,

I run a FreeBSD-based Tor relay across two instances on "Wave G", a
Gigabit ISP in the Seattle metro. You may also know them as
CondoInternet or CascadeLink, but I joined only this year on a
Wave-branded service.

These relays have had low consensus weights since I got the service in
January.

The instances are below:

  *
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/8FABF4D266DF95216F6C646C6D6D4611D3DCF484

  *
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/CE06BA1EA45FD32A79EAF7FE6A3B1919E7FE585B

My server and router are fine, I am in the single digits in terms of CPU
use on both. The same exact server and router on Verizon FiOS in New
York never gave me this issue.

There was an underlying ISP performance issue impacting me which led
consensus weight values to be low, but my ISP has since upgraded their
equipment in my building. In general, my Internet performance has
improved by magnitudes.

However, my consensus weight has stayed more or less flat since the
equipment upgrade, instead of jumping higher. What gives?

How long would it usually take for the bandwidth scanners to measure the
higher bandwidths?

Should I re-key my relays and start from scratch?

About switching ISPs, I'm not switching to Comcast for obvious
well-documented reasons, and neither CenturyLink nor Frontier/Ziply
Fiber serve me, not even copper.

Best,

Neel Chauhan

===