[tor-relays] Anyone getting Failed to find node for hop #2 of our path. Discarding this circuit. on relays after update?

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Wed Jun 10 22:35:07 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have upgraded Tor to
0.4.5.0-alpha-dev-20200609T194914Z-1~d9.stretch+1 yesterday and got this
message on all relays and bridges after upgrade:

[warn] Failed to find node for hop #2 of our path. Discarding this circuit.
[notice] Our circuit 0 (id: 4) died due to an invalid selected path,
purpose Testing circuit. This may be a torrc configuration issue, or a bug.
[notice] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is reachable from the
outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.
[warn] No available nodes when trying to choose node. Failing.
[warn] Failed to find node for hop #2 of our path. Discarding this circuit.
[warn] No available nodes when trying to choose node. Failing.
[warn] Failed to find node for hop #2 of our path. Discarding this circuit.
[warn] No available nodes when trying to choose node. Failing.
[warn] Failed to find node for hop #2 of our path. Discarding this circuit.
[warn] No available nodes when trying to choose node. Failing.
[warn] Failed to find node for hop #2 of our path. Discarding this circuit.
[warn] No available nodes when trying to choose node. Failing.
[warn] Failed to find node for hop #2 of our path. Discarding this circuit.

... like 10-14 more times same message ...

It eventually healed by itself on some relays, and on some only after
another restart of the Tor process.

I am only wondering if anyone else got this. What made me want to ask
this is what I somehow got it on each and every relay and bridge I did
the update on.

Could this be triggered by a skewed clock? The virtual machines usually
start with hwclock which is usually behind (virtualbox bug) and few
seconds after boot ntp takes over and corrects the time.

Will keep an eye on this. Things appear to run fine after it starts.

Thanks.