[tor-relays] Unused Relay - Why?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sun Jun 7 02:35:55 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 05:38:09AM +0000, petrarca at protonmail.ch wrote:
> Hello all,
> my relay is set up to support 42 Mbps, however does not get any real traffic routed through it (605EE4375EE4C38215C8949F5808863749FD4F4A). I checked anything I could think of but everything looks fine to me. Anyone with an idea what could be wrong here? Many thanks!

Hi! Thanks for running a relay.

If you go to the bottom of
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/#relayinfo
and put in your relay fingerprint, you'll find that every one of the
bandwidth authorities thinks it is slow compared to its peers -- i.e.
compared to other relays that currently advertise in the same range of
900KBytes/s of peak capacity.

You can see the consensus weight voted by each bwauth in the "bw="
entries. (The numbers for consensus weight are technically unitless
but you can think of them kind of like kilobytes per second. What that
means isn't that the bwauths think your relay can only do 56KBytes/s
of traffic, but that your relay is so overloaded, compared to your
peers, that clients should *treat* it like a relay that is advertising
56KBytes/s, in order to load balance properly among all the relays.)

I just tried using your relay for a while, and I pretty consistently got
a limit of about 250kbytes/s-300kbytes/s (2mbit to 3mbit) out of it --
nowhere near the 42mbits you describe.

I wonder if your internet connection is asymmetric, i.e. you can download
quickly but you can't upload quickly?

--Roger