[tor-relays] What is the command to view the tor log file on Debian?

Paul Geurts paulus at pollekeg.com
Thu Jul 30 06:54:30 UTC 2020

hi Keifer,

some options:

tor is not running as the default instance (This is what Matt allready said
in his mail, for example because you use something like ansible rules to
set it up), you could try using:
sudo journalctl -eu tor*

on debian the logging from tor is in some cases put in /var/log/syslog
(this depends on how you have installed tor, again, if you used ansible
rules to setup tor this could be the case). So if you edit this file you
can find the relevant tor line items. There are lots of other options to
look at syslog, simple way to start could be:

cd /var/log
more syslog | grep Tor
(this shows only line items from syslog that contain 'Tor' in it)

or

sudo more syslog | grep Tor
(depends on the account you are using)

gr. Paul