[tor-relays] Guard flag got removed after only 48 hours of downtime.

Sebastian Hahn mail at sebastianhahn.net
Wed Jul 29 03:18:14 UTC 2020

Hi William,

> On 29. Jul 2020, at 00:45, Matt Traudt <pastly at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> The Guard flag conditions are
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2640
>
> Given you're Fast and Stable, and have a good advertised bandwidth and
> weight, then I suspect you simply no longer have a Weighted Fractional
> Uptime that is at least the median for "familiar" relays.
>
> Thus just give it time.
>
> This has nothing to do with volunteering to be a fallback directory mirror.
>
> Thanks for running a relay, and for doing so at an unpopular provider.
>
> On 7/28/20 9:29 AM, William Kane wrote:
>> Please discard the previous (empty) email, it was an error on my end.
>>
>> Today, I noticed that my guard flag has been taken away:
>>
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/47E1157F7DA6DF80EC00D745D73ACD7B0A380BCF
>>
>> Does this have to do with the recent two, major downtime's of the relay?
>>
>> While I wasn't monitoring the server, the kernel decided (or rather
>> oom-killer did) to reap the tor process for consuming too much memory
>> (keep in mind, this is a virtual machine with only 1GB of RAM which
>> running another daemon consuming about ~92MB's of RAM).
>>
>> I promptly restarted the relay, but the same thing happened again yesterday.
>>
>> So today, I manually set a lower MaxMemInQueues value instead of
>> letting Tor calculate one for me - 640MB's instead of 732MB's.
>>
>> Still, I am confused as for why the guard flag has been taken away - I
>> recently opted in to be a fallback directory mirror, does this have
>> anything to do with it?
>>
>> The relay was stable and online for almost a year, so only 48 hours of
>> downtime shouldn't affect the variables qualifying a relay to become
>> and stay a guard that much?
>>
>> If this is because of the directory mirror thing, then please take my
>> relay out of that pool - I want to stay a guard for a number of
>> reasons - mainly because my host is only hosting about 10 tor relays
>> unlike all the other big hosters that are commonly used - network
>> variety is very important or so I've been taught, especially when it
>> comes to guard relays.
>>
>> If this is a mistake on Tor Project's end, I please ask for it to be
>> resolved - however, if it's the Directory Authorities disqualifying my
>> relay, then there's nothing to be done except to wait.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> William Kane

according to gabelmoo's vote, it requires:
flag-thresholds stable-uptime=1202114 stable-mtbf=3679804 fast-speed=102000 guard-wfu=98.000% guard-tk=691200 guard-bw-inc-exits=18400000 guard-bw-exc-exits=14400000 enough-mtbf=1 ignoring-advertised-bws=1

gabelmoo assigns your relay the following values:
R 47E1157F7DA6DF80EC00D745D73ACD7B0A380BCF
+MTBF 4632038 0.93987 S=2020-07-27 21:47:42
+WFU 4632038 4728633

As you can see, you barely do not make the WFU (required: 98%, you have
97.95%). Note that more recent downtimes are given more weight (that's
what the W stands for in WFU). Very soon your flag should be back.

Cheers
Sebastian