[tor-relays] ContactInfo Information Sharing Specification Version 1 released

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Jul 28 04:51:38 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:05 PM nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:

> >> In section "Defined fields" you write:
> >>
> >>   Non-ASCII characters are not supported.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if this applies only to keys or also to values? With the
> >> availability of IDN (https://unicode.org/faq/idn.html) in email
> >> addresses, supporting only US-ASCII values is too limited.
> >
> > I'd suggest that we should allow UTF-8 for values, at least.  It looks
> > like we're standardizing on UTF-8 as our character encoding for
> > directory documents in Proposal 285.
>
> The state of prop-285 (open) was actually the reason why I did not put UTF-8
> into the CIISS :)

Oops!  Actually, that proposal should be "Accepted".  We've gotten
behind in labelling them. There's a ticket to label them right at
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/issues/1

> Is prop-285 already implemented in tor?

Partially. Directory authorities reject anything that isn't UTF-8, in
dirserv_add_multiple_descriptors().

> In that case I'm happy to add UTF-8 as recommended.

cheers,
--
Nick