[tor-relays] ContactInfo Information Sharing Specification Version 1 released

Mighty Wang wang at mighty.wang
Fri Jul 24 11:44:40 UTC 2020

On 21/07/20 18:16, nusenu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm happy to finally announce version 1 of the ContactInfo Information Sharing Specification:
>
> https://github.com/nusenu/ContactInfo-Information-Sharing-Specification
> This is an effort that started in 2017 as you can see on github.

> regards,
> nusenu

Hi Nunsenu

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to look at the issue of malicious
relay operators and come up with some potential approaches for
addressing it.

If I understand correctly your objective is to increase the level of
effort required to run a relay, at least when it comes to the larger
relays. I assume that you assume that if more effort is required then
malicious relay operators will shut down and go elsewhere?

I do not feel the proposed verification measures will make a malicious
relay operators life sufficiently more difficult unfortunately.

Malicious relay operators already expend relatively large amounts of
money and presumably effort to do their thing; the example you gave
initially talked about a potentially malicious operator providing up to
23% of exit capacity - that must be a very expensive already surely?

I can't help but feel that the issue of malicious operators could
perhaps be better addressed by

1) Having a valid email contact address for any given relay as you
already suggest; and

2) Having each operator join this mailing-list (using the above email
address) and introduce, anonymously or otherwise, themselves and their
relay(s).

To have either the guard or exit flags on your relay you would need to
complete the aforementioned 2 steps. In cases where there are concerns
over a relay or set of relays then there would be a transparent and
public forum where those concerns can be both raised and (hopefully)
addressed, i.e. this mailing list.

I get that it is not as interesting as a more technical approach but
IMHO it would be more effective and could be implemented almost
immediately and is actually not that easy to game compared to technical
solutions.

Anyway these are just my thoughts.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at the problem.

yours

M Wang

--
MIGHTYWANG 9B2BC7EFD661072AFADC533BE8DCF1C19D8C2DCC