[tor-relays] ContactInfo Information Sharing Specification Version 1 released

mpan tor-1qnuaylp at mpan.pl
Tue Jul 21 18:37:32 UTC 2020

  Great job, except one thing. Can’t providing *any* contact info be
obligatory? What’s the point of making specifically the email address
required? What are benefits of having it *over other contact info*?

 -  Automatic verification of some kind? No.
    That would require client-side system coupled with email accounts.

 -  Limiting abuse by requiring an email? No.
    Emails are cheap. Much cheaper than e.g. obtaining a domain and
    having some specific DNS entry or web page provided. That at least
    costs some money and confirms that the operator has control over
    the domain.

 -  Increasing contact? No.
    I was offering an email address for some time and the only
    experience was no single message from a human actually contacting
    me about Tor. Everything was only spam. Suggesting address rotation
    or antispam filters is merely an attempt to dismiss the issue,
    not an answer to it.

  I see it as putting more burden on operator for no good reason and
making yet another service require an easily abuseable information to be
released. I’m aware of of benefits of email (open, “everyone” uses it)
and downsides of other options (limited access, abusive or poorly
designed websites), but are those really the argument for making this
specific information trivially harvestable?

  As long as this is optional, it’s not a huge problem. But I do not
believe in ignoring stuff simply because temporarily it does not affect
me personally.

mpan