[tor-relays] >23% Tor exit relay capacity found to be malicious - call for support for proposal to limit large scale attacks

Michael Gerstacker michael.gerstacker at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 07:50:55 UTC 2020

Am So., 5. Juli 2020 um 18:36 Uhr schrieb nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently writing a follow-up blog post to [1] about a large scale
> malicious tor exit relay operator
> that did run more than 23% of the Tor network's exit capacity (May 2020)
> before (some) of it got reported to the bad-relays team and
> subsequently removed from the network by the Tor directory authorities.
> After the initial removal the malicious actor quickly restored its
> activities and
> was back at >20% of the Tor network's exit capacity within weeks (June
> 2020).
>
> [1]
> https://medium.com/@nusenu/the-growing-problem-of-malicious-relays-on-the-tor-network-2f14198af548
>
> To prevent this from happening over and over again
> I'm proposing two simple but to some extend effective relay requirements
> to make malicious relay operations more expensive, time consuming,
> less sustainable and more risky for such actors:
>
> a) require a verified email address for the exit or guard relay flag.
> (automated verification, many relays)
>
> b) require a verified physical address for large operators (>=0.5% exit or
> guard probability)
> (manual verification, low number of operators).
> It is not required that the address is public or stored after it got
> verified.
> For details see bellow [2].
>
> 0.5% exit probability is currently about 500-600 Mbit/s of advertised
> bandwidth.
>

> Q: How many operators would be affected by the physical address
> verification requirement if we use 0.5% as a threshold?
> A: About 30 operators.
>
> There are currently about 18 exit [3] and 12 guard operators that run
> >0.5% exit/guard capacity
> if we ignore the fresh exit groups from 2020.
> Most exit operators (14 out of these 18) are organizations with public
> addresses or have their address published in WHOIS
> anyway.
>
> At the end of the upcoming blog post I'd like to give people some idea as
> to how much support this proposal has.
>
> Please let me know if you find this idea to limit attackers useful,
> especially if you are a long term relay operator,
> one of the 30 operators running >=0.5% exit/guard capacity, a Tor
> directory authority operator or part of The Torproject.
>

> thanks for your support to fight malicious tor relays!
> nusenu
> --
> https://mastodon.social/@nusenu
>

> [2]
> Physical address verification procedure could look like this:
>
> The Torproject publishes a central registry of trusted entities that
> agreed to verify addresses of large scale operators.
>
> The registry is broken down by area so no central entity needs to see all
> addresses or is in the position to block all submissions.
> (even though the number of physical address verifications are expected be
> stay bellow 50 for the time being).

> [...]
I would not be very happy to be required to give away personal identifying
information even if it's a "trusted entity".

Even if Tor is focused on offering anonymity to its users and not
necessarily to its relay operators a move towards this by an organisation
that supports privacy wherever they can would seem like a strange idea to
me.

I remember that i suggested the idea with an email based verification in
one of my previous emails and i still think that would not be a bad idea
but i think juristically it might be a difference if the torproject (or
maybe even each of the authority operators itself) only have the ability to
reject relays or if they even have the ability to decide who is allowed to
join.

Your blog post talks about that you found relays doing something odd that
the official Tor software is not able to do.

So if that's the only reason for this whole email then i don't see a reason
for any of this because relays "doing something odd" should not be able to
be part of the Tor network.

In your blog post you talk about malicious relays which as far as i
understand are relays who are in the position for doing end-to-end
correlation attacks.

Are these attacks really something to worry about in real life or is it
just a fear because they are possible theoretically?

I mean even if a malicious entity is adding relays how big is the risk in
real life that they can hurt you when they at least can not "do something
odd" anymore?

Onion services for example are an answer for that.

Generally i think it's a rather strange move that the opinion changed to
"let's cripple operators who want to contribute more" instead of trying to
encourage more people to run relays so that the percentage of the other
operators will decrease by itself.

The amount of Tor relays seems to have reached its peak (for now, maybe) so
i think crippling the existing operators is not necessarily the best way to
go and when someone wants to add more relays he should be able to do that
without introducing a two-class system of verified and not verified
operators.