[tor-relays] How do I get the *current* Tor exit node IP address over the control port?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Wed Jan 29 09:31:02 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 08:25:06AM -0500, Matt Traudt wrote:
> > I want to be able to receive a new **different** IP address for
> > different connections which a bash script makes. Suppose (simplified):
>
> [...] It sounds a lot like
> you're trying to do some of those things that hurt Tor: either by
> unfairly consuming its resources for your personal gain (e.g. yet
> another hobby Tor-powered web crawler or SEO), or by harming its
> reputation by "ethically" hacking or vulnerability scanning the web.

Thanks Matt. I agree that most people who want to automate connections
through Tor using many different exits are probably not doing it with
the sustainability of the Tor network in mind. That is, maybe they
think of the Tor network as this magic huge anonymous thing that they
can do anything over, but the reality is that sustainability is a huge
deal since ISPs and websites form opinions about Tor based on their
experiences with folks who make bulk automated requests.

And see also
https://blog.torproject.org/call-arms-helping-internet-services-accept-anonymous-users
for the same issue from the other side.

So: Mike, please think deeply about whether your planned activities
would be spoiling the party for all the other Tor users out there,
who want to be doing ordinary web browsing and not get punished when
websites freak out and try to block your requests.

Thanks,
--Roger