[tor-relays] New relay on dynamic IP address

mpan tor-1qnuaylp at mpan.pl
Mon Jan 27 06:24:19 UTC 2020

> Is a really with a dynamic IP address useful at all?
  I’m running a node like that for over 5 years. Currently it is a guard
too. The IP address is relatively stable and the major interruptions are
due to kernel/tor upgrades or modem losing connection without the
address change. Even after those it recovers pretty fast. Unless you are
expecting to see downtime a few times a week, go ahead. The node is also
useful even if it is not having the guard flag yet.

  However, if you’re planning to run a node from your home, consider a
few things. Forget about running an exit node: you will experience a
heavy overblocking and hostility. And any node will bring some level of
harassment, because ignorance is widespread. A second thing is that from
time to time someone is trying to DoS nodes. In those 5 years I’ve seen
a few of those, so I assume the average is like once per year of
operation. Just accept the inevitable reality of running a node at home:
there will be a day or a week in which you will observe thousands
connections coming to your PC, all cores suddenly running at 100%
without no apparent reason &c. Treat it as a way to gain experience.