[tor-relays] ContactInfo-Information-Sharing-Specification updates and final comments until 2020-02-02

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Thu Jan 23 14:14:39 UTC 2020

Hey,

On 2020/01/20 22:25, teor wrote:
> * do some minimal validation on the email field, that makes sure it looks
>   like an email address. (Or don't, so operators can obfuscate their
>   addresses from spammers.)

Is the kind of obfuscation, we see in use today, for the `ContactInfo`-field
useful against spammers at all? My intuition says no, but it might be
wrong. I personally don't believe I've received more unwanted email by
not obfuscating my email address on my relays.

I think the suggestion in our man-page with generating a new email
address for the relay contact information might be a better option for
everybody if this is a concern to the operator.

The RIPE database allows me to list the email addresses associated with
various objects, if I pass some flags to their whois server, so I would
assume we could add a requirement that a relay operator should use
something that structurally resembles an email address at the very
least.

At some point in a distant future, we could even require that the email
addresses are "validated" by having some service sending an email to the
operator of a new relay and have them click on some link to a validation
service if we think that is useful to have.

All the best,
Alex.

--
Alexander Færøy