[tor-relays] bwauths don't like one of my relays?

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Jan 21 04:17:40 UTC 2020

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue, and sorry it's taken us a while to get
back to you. Many of us have been on leave over the holidays, and we're
still catching up.

> On 4 Jan 2020, at 10:18, trusting.mcnulty at protonmail.com wrote:
>
> An update on my relay 'kima' ($54A35E582F9E178542ECCFA48DBE14F401729969) --
>
> Eventually I did get assigned more weight; the relay is currently at 4600.
>
> Along the way I think I discovered one potential problem with the bwauth bootstrapping process, at least for sbws.  (I'm not sure about torflow.)

Torflow's partitions have a similar issue, but it's actually worse:
a relay can get stuck in a low-bandwidth partition forever.

> When sbws is constructing a two-hop measurement circuit to run a test, it tries to pick an exit that has at least twice the consensus weight of the current relay-under-test:
> https://github.com/torproject/sbws/blob/master/sbws/core/scanner.py#L216
>
> So this means that in this case, sbws would have picked any exit that was not a BadExit, has an acceptable ExitPolicy, and has a consensus weight of at least, well, 2.  That's not a lot.
>
> As it turns out, something like 10% of exits have under a 600Kbyte/sec advertised bandwidth.  So it seems pretty easy from this weight=1 bootstrap scenario to get paired with an exit that will give poor test results.
>
> Perhaps bwauth path selection should also choose a testing pair from exits/relays with a certain absolute minimum of weight or advertised bandwidth?

I've opened a ticket for this issue:

We'll try to resolve it before we deploy any more sbws instances.