[tor-relays] TCP CCA for Tor Relays (and especially Bridges)

Alex Xu alex_y_xu at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 20 18:05:14 UTC 2020

Quoting Iain Learmonth (2020-01-20 16:00:01)
> Last time I looked you could not switch TCP congestion control algorithm
> in Linux per-namespace (maybe you can now and you don't need to have
> multiple VMs).

It's been allowed for about two years now [0], but you don't need it
anyways. Trying out new congestion control algorithms is not exactly a
new fad, so it has been possible to set the congestion control algorithm
via setsockopt since, apparently, Linux 2.6.13 [1], released a good 15
years ago. You'd probably need to patch tor to do that effectively, but
if you're going to all this trouble anyways, patching one program
shouldn't really be a barrier.

[0] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/6670e152447732ba90626f36dfc015a13fbf150e
[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/tcp.7.html