[tor-relays] ContactInfo-Information-Sharing-Specification updates and final comments until 2020-02-02

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Jan 20 07:42:31 UTC 2020

nusenu:
> Georg Koppen:
>> Yes, that's what I figured. So, it seems to me not all your proposed
>> keys are equally important (e.g. your require the email one). Which of
>> those (or maybe even which cluster of those) are/is important enough in
>> your opinion to could be considered on topic for a potential tor
>> proposal? (If we would go that route)
>
> email (if a fully automated verification process is included)

Okay, that sounds like a promising start.

>>> The only negative point of removing the ContactInfo field
>>> altogether is loosing information that people put into it.
>> Well, it does not necessarily mean losing information as the field would
>> not just go away but be replaced by other, more narrowed down ones.
>
> which seems to imply a configuration change and not all operators will
> change their configuration

That might be true but we'd have some clear process ahead to phase the
old field out and transition to the newer ones, and transparent ways to
enforce the new model after some time.

I feel that's a big plus to an optional spec that kind of exists in
parallel to the status quo and might play somehow a role in determining
whether a relay might get bumped out of the network or not etc.

>> Do you have some data about how the field is actually used in the wild
>> today
>
> I don't have any systematic analysis on ContactInfo strings
> but if you want to take a look at them find them at the bottom of this
> email sorted by cw fraction.

Thanks, that's helpful.

[snip]

Georg