[tor-relays] TCP CCA for Tor Relays (and especially Bridges)

Matt Corallo tor-lists at mattcorallo.com
Sat Jan 11 05:07:55 UTC 2020

Hmm, this type of test doesn’t really seem to have much connection to the average Tor user. Middle relay <-> middle relay connections may be mostly servers, but residential/mobile connections in Russia/Iran/China likely don’t perform quite the same. Worse still, BBR can have measurable effects on packet retransmissions, and while it may require an unrealistic amount of state to track such things for many flows, it’s not a given that it won’t make tor traffic stand out (luckily, of course, large CDNs like DropBox, Spotify, YouTube, etc have been migrating to it, so maybe this won’t be the case in the future).

Sadly, the large scale deployments of BBR are mostly not high-latency links (as CDNs generally have a nearby datacenter for you to communicate with), and the high retransmission rates may result in more “lag” for browsing when absolute bandwidth isn’t the primary concern. On the flip side, Spotify’s measurements seem to indicate that, at least in some cases, the jitter can decrease enough to be noticeable for users.

Is there a way we could do measurements of packet loss/latency profiles of bridge users? This should enable simulation for things like this, but it sounds like there’s no good existing work in this domain?

Matt