[tor-relays] Advices about Tor Network in general...

yl tor at yl.ms
Wed Jan 8 19:44:22 UTC 2020

Hello Hugo

Am 07.01.20 um 23:08 schrieb Hugo Claude:
> 1. Is it possible to choose my relay as my guard relay while i'm using Tor Network ?

I never tried this, but have a look at "EntryNodes node,node,…" here:
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en

Or look at "UseBridges 0|1" and "Bridge [transport] IP:ORPort
[fingerprint]".

Make sure to test it before you rely on the intended function and the
privacy.

> 2. Why my relay is running on 4.1.5 while some are 4.2.5 ect... ?

Maybe your OS is only shipping that version?

There is a release trac here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases

Did you check how to add the official sources for Debian based/like
systems, there is some info here:
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en

> 3. How can i make a kind of proxy to make my entire traffic passing through Tor (like Orbot on mobile phone).

There is some descriptions like that in the Internet, but I'd advice
against this, you see a lot of captures when only using Tor. But there
is some guides to setup a Raspberry to act as a Tor router that does not
allow traffic to take any other route.

> 4. What kind of low-budget servers (-100€), i can buy for running ≈12MB/s Relays ?

>From what I heard lately a Raspberry Pi 3B won't work, it will not have
sufficient CPU power, also a Pi4 seems to be a bit short in CPU power,
but I'd say something with a bit more power should be able to take
12MByte/s.

Regards
yl