[tor-relays] Where to run new relays?

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Wed Jan 1 16:32:00 UTC 2020

> I'm planning to go for a full reinstall of my 2 guards in order to upgrade
> them to CentOS 8 & Tor 0.4.x
> My current relays (Tor 0.3.5.8 & CentOS7) are running at OVH (France) and I
> was considering installing the new ones at a more useful location
> France has the second highest aggregated consensus weight, so I should
> avoid France, THAT is clear
>
> But then I got puzzled:
> Should I maximise the bandwidth criteria by running the relays in countries
> having good connectivity and bandwidth (Europe, US...), at the cost of
> diversity?
> Should I maximise the geographical diversity (Gabon, Reunion...) at the
> cost of bandwidth?
>
> Alternatively, I could just stop asking stupid questions and make my life
> easier by reinstalling at OVH...
>
> The stats are nice indeed, but I miss clear recommendations in order to
> make my mind
>
> So, any useful recommendation,guys?

Thanks for considering diversity before setting up your relays.

The main information required to answer that question properly is: what is the available budged

Ideally you would use a rare location (ASN and country wise) that provides at least the same amount
of capacity that you still can afford.

Relay Search is a good tool to help you see where to not run more relays.
Since you are planing to setup a guard relay, you should sort these tables by guard probability
and avoid the most common entries.

Ideally you avoid the top 5 countries/ASNs and make sure that your ASN is not using these ASNs as their only upstream.

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#aggregate/as
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#aggregate/cc

kind regards,
nusenu