[tor-relays] new installation of an established TOR relay

NOC tor at afo-tm.org
Mon Dec 28 05:53:11 UTC 2020

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 01:50:03PM +0100, RJ Hofmann wrote:
>> caused by a temporary failure of the raspberry I had to completely renew installation of my TOR relay nicknamed mosaik.
>>
>> The new installtion is already up and running, but since I had no copies of keys and fingerprints the new relay is completely new in terms of consensus weight etc..
>>
>> I wonder if it is helpful in any way to inform you about this change as to accelerate the relay???s ???reputation??? to make it fully functional for the community on the fast track.
> No need to inform people -- the process is automated, and your new
> relay will go through the process of getting measured, having that
> measurement show up in the consensus weights, etc.
>
> Thanks for running a relay!
>
> --Roger

I wonder if a Raspberry PI is at all usefull with the current efforts to
increase the Performance of the Tor network, since Tor does not scale
beyond ~1,3 threads the Raspberry PI would heavily limit the speed with
it's slow cores. And here it seems to be run on a consumer line at home,
so best case 50 mbit/s upload. Wouldn't it be more usefull that such
relays would be turned to bridges? I do currently leave 200 mbit/s
buffer on all my relays to deal with spikes if somebody wants to
download something and that with more than the usual 2-10 mbit/s you get
via Tor.

RelayBandwidthRate 25 MB
RelayBandwidthBurst 70 MB

In my mind Raspberry PI relays running at home (atleast if the
connection is only 50mbit/s and not 100 mbit/s+) hinder efforts to speed
up downloads via Tor but I don't have any data currently to back this claim.
If not I could remove the limits on my relays I guess?