[tor-relays] Blog: How Malicious Tor Relays are Exploiting Users in 2020 (Part I)

William Kane ttallink at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 15 21:00:42 UTC 2020

I knew about this issue years ago, but there's not much I can do to
mitigate it except for spinning up more, legit Tor exit instances to
try and limit the probability of an attack happening to a user.

We need way more legitimate relays, and not just on OVH, Hetzner and
Online's up streams which are likely already wiretapped due to being
the biggest entities hosting the majority of relays.

Possibly start some campaign to get people to run Tor relays as long
as they match some criteria (not on dynamic lines, not on hosters that
are already crowded with relays, etc.).

I was trying to get my tech-savvy friends to run Tor relays, but most
of them are not interested - the problem with abuse that exit
operators frequently encounter scares most of them off and they just
lose interest in running any kind of relay completely -. sadly, the
public image of Tor is just that bad - blame the media networks for
that..

I don't think monetary incentives would be feasible, but there has to
be something that we can do to get people to smarten up and run more
relays on unpopular hosters.

In the future I'd like to see at least 50000 relays of all types, and
out of those, at least 15000 exit relays spread out on many different
up streams / data-centers, ran by legitimate businesses or private
entities, to minimize chances of timing correlation and similar
attacks.

Stuff like sslstrip should be addressed in the client code for the Tor
Browser, and it should be really easy to implement.

>>> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2020-July/018656.html