[tor-relays] why non-exit node becomes last in the circuits?

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 14:09:54 UTC 2020

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 14:56, tor-operator-sahara-it
<tor-operator-sahara-it at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Tails:
> Today i found that my jabber messenger (with server in *.onion) use onion circuit with three nodes, and two times from two exit-nodes were very strange.

I believe the point of using a .onion service is that you don't need
to go through an exit relay (which is a relay connecting you to non
tor services through the "normal" internet) as your service is already
directly connected to the tor network, so you can directly build a
circuit to it instead of building a circuit to an exit and then
connection to your destination.
My mental model for a .onion service is a dedicated exit allowing only
that service, I have no idea how far from reality this is :)