[tor-relays] FreeBSD Relays in VMware VSphere

MacLemon tor at maclemon.at
Thu Aug 6 12:39:56 UTC 2020

Hi!

We've been having serious networking problems with a FreeBSD VM in VMware VSphere for several months now. The symptom is that network throughput slowly degrades and packet loss increases until your VM is unable to transmit any meaningful data. (Cannot SSH in anymore, etc. We're talking literally BITS per second bad.)

We've been suspecting the vmx(8) networking driver for some time and now there's an update to the driver available in FreeBSD 12.1-p8. So if you're running a Relay on FreeBSD under VSphere, this should fix the issue.

https://bsdsec.net/articles/freebsd-announce-freebsd-errata-notice-freebsd-en-20-16-vmx

We hope that our two-in-one FreeBSD relay will be stable and passing traffic again!

C3WLittleGem
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/B1F09810C4F7B9D30F483DCE389180335D40968C

C3WPhantomStreak
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/C04850673F655A91F5AD3C06E1E5B9056C5FA2E0

C3W Family Members: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/family:C04850673F655A91F5AD3C06E1E5B9056C5FA2E0

Best regards
MacLemon

for the Chaos Computer Club Vienna/Austria